Thursday, February 19, 2009

Arambol Update

Once again my resistance turned to surrender and I ended up loving my time in Arambol. The town didn’t change  much, or any for that matter.  And the weird factor was ever so present. But after 2 or 3 days when I realized I was doing everything I wanted to do,i.e. meditating, yoga, watching sunsets on the beach every night, eating wonderful Goan food, hanging out with friends from the ashram, and meeting more interesting people from all corners of the world(even had a date for Valentines Day), I changed my view. I was suddenly very happy and very grateful to be in such a magnificent setting. Pigs, cows, chickens, hippies and all.  

Things only got better from there. The Iyengar course really resonated with me.  So much that I am now making plans to go to Dharmasala in April for more.  I leanrned so much about  body alignment and finding repose in the pose, as Mr Iyengar says.  I feel like I have a new relationship with pain after this course. The course was very challenging physically, but so rewarding.  I guess it’s not too much of a surprise that I connected with this practice. It’s  very meditative. Extremely technical, but calming at the same time.

So I’m off on another type of adventure for the next week. Varanasi, the holiest city in India, Bodh Gaya, the site of the Buddha’s enlightenment, and  hopefully to Agra to see the Taj before heading to Rishikesh.

India continues to fascinate, challenge and take me to higher and higher levels of adaptation. Who thought I would be so comfortable in a $8/night hut with a fan, mosquito net, and a cold shower. But really, what else does one need?

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tim -- hardee har har, you're having a classic Indian travel adventure! What i remember from my own visits there was what seemed to be a constant encounter with extremes: the brightest and dreariest colors, the worst and best smells, the most wonderful and, well, not so wonderful people...it was all so rich! Hope you have a great time in Varanasi -- I had a life changing experience there! can't wait to catch up. alls well here in nyc.

Anonymous said...

You go on about body alignment and finding repose in the pose and a new relationship with pain, and all I want to know about is your Valentine's date!
Any luck with the iPod?
xoox, Jack

Anonymous said...

Jack is sooo right - more about the date!!! So great to hear about your adventures - take care and know that we are all thinking of you and love you ... Lois

Anonymous said...

Yes, only you can find a Valentine's date in India. I love it! Glad you are having such a great time. Can't wait to hear all of the stories and see pictures, along with a little cocktails and conversation.
Love, Kellie

Jen D said...

Yes, mosquito net, fan, small place to sleep...maybe a banana now and then. You really don't need anything else.

Anonymous said...

i love it love it love it! thanks for taking us with you on this journey. be wary of the lassis! xo
erin