Saturday, November 8, 2008

Paris at last

“If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast. “  Ernest Hemmingway(1899-1961)

It’s hard to believe I’ve only spent a week in Paris thus far.  Truly, it has been a feast. A feast of cuisine, language, culture, history, and even spirituality.    I actually managed to find the Sivananda Yoga Center here, which is the tradition with which I will do my teacher training in India.  Talk about an exercise in mindfulness. I’ve only taken a few classes in this tradition back in LA, and now I’m taking them in French!  So between trying to remember the sequence of poses, deciphering the vocabulary, and focusing on my breath, I was starting to feel little bit like Lucy and the conveyer belt of chocolates.  

Feeling overwhelmed, as I’ve recently learned,  is only a  temporary feeling.  It’s actually a mind.  A mind that can be controlled with patience and mindfulness.  So my challenge this week has not been to not get frustrated, since that is inevitable when trying to adapt to all things new.  Rather, to observe the feeling as it arises and attempt to patiently accept it.   Accept that I am in a foreign country, adapting to its culture.  So spending 40 minutes trying to figure out how to make a phone call, getting lost in the rain looking for my school, after asking 3 different people for directions, and just getting lost in general, are merely opportunities to practice the mindfulness of patient acceptance.   Not yet quite there, ;).

The pictures I’ve attached are from my day at Sacre Coeur and Montmarte, the highest point in Paris.  It was a spectacular fall day, as is today.  Beautiful blue sky,  50 degrees, surrounded by the smell of pastries and the sounds of language.  As the French say, “rien ne me rend plus heureux”. Nothing makes me happier.

 

4 comments:

Loisb said...

WOW, how wonderful to be able to share this journey with you. Love the pictures, especially LOVE the picture of the Eiffel Tower, it's gorgeous. Love, Lois

Ruth said...

How beautiful Paris looks in Fall colors. I pictured myself trying to do a new yoga style in a new language after getting lost in the rain, the image cracked me up. Patience indeed!

kent jordan said...

Nice pics..specially the boulangerie. warm colors. soft light. Very evocative. If only it were scratch and sniff.

The thing I miss most from paris is oddly enough the mustard. i LOVE the mustard. When I left, I carried home 5 jars of it....can't find it over here. So HOT. Of course, the pain au chocolat runs a very close second, followed by the crepes, the cider, the creme brule, the wine, the bread, the jambon et fromage...oh man, i've made myself hungry....gotta go.

Kimberly said...

Lovely to see you alive and thriving in Paris. I don't dare show them to Albert or we'll be on the next plane :)
We're thinking of you often- thanks for sharing your experiences.
Kimberly