Thursday, February 12, 2009

Greetings from the circus known as Arambol, Goa

It’s really the only way I know how to describe this place.  Goa is known for being a hangout for society dropouts and hippies, but I never knew a place could be so wacky. In short, I’m not crazy about it at all.  In fact, I would say that I hate it except that it’s so damn entertaining.  I’m trying to just laugh and have fun with it. Actually, it’s no effort at all to laugh because everything is hysterical.

For example, I pull up in my taxi to the guesthouse recommended by my friends and am greeted by wild pigs, dogs, chickens and cows everywhere.  Kind of like “Green Acres”, Indian style.  So I’m thinking well, OK this isn’t Varkala Beach where I spent the last week, but hey I can adjust, right? I’m here for a yoga intensive so I should be able to deal with anything, right?  I’m staying in a hut for about $10/night so I feel like I can’t complain.

I found my friends  and went to dinner on the beach, which was wonderful.  Wonderful except for the very loud mix of disco and rock music.  Oh and new age music with ecstatic dance.  Lots of white people with dred locks and not an Indian in site.  It all seems very far away from the ashram, which we are missing terribly at this point.  So we headed for a quite end of the beach after dinner, had a glass of wine, and reminisced about our teacher training days in the ashram that we thought we’d never miss. 

So today I hear about this “amazing” yoga class on the roof of a hotel by the beach.  It’s taught by Vijay, who has been practicing for 35 years and everyone raves about him. Well, I don’t want to miss it so I head over a bit early. Then I found out that Vijay has a substitute, a French woman with a very thick accent. I fight my disappointment and decide to take the class anyway. Another opportunity to adjust. Well, that’s when the fun began. The “studio” was fascinating. On the roof with no railings or barriers.  So when Sylvie asked me to come to the front far right, I was a bit hesitant. Mainly because there was at least a 20 mile/hour wind blowing debris everywhere and I imagine that the next gust of wind will blow me off the 4 story building. But I again think, no, just adjust and move.  But it just got more and more comical. I couldn’t do the sun salutations because I couldn’t see the teacher through the debris, couldn’t hear her instructions, and my mat kept flying up hitting me in the face. But I kept going because I’m intrigued and am laughing at all the challenges.  I mean really, can anyone in this class concentrate? So just when the wind settles down a bit, I hear all this noise on the grassy knoll below. There’s not 1, but 2  pigs chasing a rooster. The rooster is going nuts, which excites the dogs and they start chasing the pigs. Holy moly, this really IS a circus. OK I’m really trying to bring my attention back to my breath and the class, but just  happened to look over my shoulder and noticed this stunning Italian gentleman wearing nothing but a pair of work out shorts.  At this point I’m thinking I’m never getting through the class.  I thought I had seen everything, but this has pushed  the sensory overload button.  You see, we had a strict dress/conduct code in yoga class at the ashram.  Covered shoulders and covered knees for everyone, and no noisy farm animals.  I am certainly seeing the advantage of that now, and missing it terribly. I have enough distractions in my mind. I don’t need any additional sounds or visuals.  So just when I think it can’t get any worse, these crazy crows start flying through the “studio”.  Geez, now I’ve gone from Green Acres, to Tarzan, to The Birds. All in one yoga class.   Bring back the Ashram, Please!!!

Oh well, at least it’s been entertaining . Not really what I had in mind when I thought of getting more yoga training.  What’s the meaning in all this? I have no idea. Perhaps the message is that I have the training I need for the moment.. I don’t know. Perhaps just relax and enjoy the show.  One thing I do know however, Goa is not my kind of place.  The training starts Friday. I may be long gone from here by then or I may hang on for more entertainment.

Stay Tuned. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Except for the crows, it sounds like my subway ride from 107th to SoHo every morning...
OK, not quite. What an adventure!!!!