Thursday, May 10, 2012

What's so great about Kirtan?


For starters, I think most of us who are kirtan veterans would say: it makes us feel good, blissful, ecstatic. Certainly incentive enough to at least check it out, right? But exactly what is it about this practice that makes us feel so good?

Personally, I would agree, it does make me feel good. I feel blissful, ecstatic, and happy when I’m singing and chanting these sacred sounds, these ancient mantras. I remember a few years back during one of my first kirtans, singing, crying, thinking to myself, ‘this is all I’ve ever wanted to do’. Imagine, a Baptist boy from Mississippi connecting so deeply with Rama, Krishna, Shiva. Amazing!

But then that is what's so magical about kirtan, it actually transcends all or no religious teaching. People come together and unite their voices, honoring universal themes of connection. Connection to others, to ourselves, to goodness truth and beauty, to divinity.

So here are a few reasons why I think kirtan is so great.

1. It fuels my passion for singing.
2. It provides a space for connection (with all the above stated objects).
3. It gives me a break from obsessing over my problems.
4. It elicits a powerfully restorative relaxation response(slower heart beat, slower breath).
5. It humbles me to play with such talented musicians.
6. It calms my mind when I’m stuck in traffic(most of the time).
7. It nurtures my devotional nature.
8. It creates shifts in my consciousness.
9. It helps me to be present (It’s so much fun, why would I want to be anywhere else).
10. It makes we want to put my arms around everyone I know, and let them the feel the sacred embrace of divinity.
11. It renews my faith in humanity.
12. It clarifies why I’m here.
13. I start to let go of everything I think I need in this world to be happy.

So why not give it a go, if you’ve never tried it.

May we all be happy, may we all be free from suffering and all its causes

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu

1 comment:

gloria hester said...

Tim is a true lover of Kirtan!