Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dharamsala

Once again I find myself in Delhi, with what has become a bit of a refuge and recharging station. I have connected with this wonderful Indian family and have been renting a room from them in between my north Indian travel jaunts . They live conveniently next to the yoga center so I am able to get a bit spiritually recharged as well.

I’m happy to report that I made it to and from Dharamsala safe and sound. More safe than sound actually.   I ‘m exhausted and a bit rattled after 12 hours on a rickety old bus with broken seats.  But happy to have made the journey. I kept thinking about the sweet old Tibetan man sitting next to me. What must he have gone through in his life to be where he is now.  I heard so many stories in the past few days of how people had to eat grass in order to survive the journey into Nepal and finally  into India. They risked everything for freedom. It somehow made the bumps in the road seem not quite as significant. I was also amazed at how he seemed to sleep the entire trip. With what he must have gone through in his life, I’m sure that a bumpy bus ride wouldn’t enter into his consciousness as something uncomfortable.  Also, it was just really nice to be on a bus full of monks and nuns.  Regardless of the bumps.

We actually stayed in Mcleod Gang, where the Dalai Lama resides. Well actually Bhagsu, which is just north of Mcleod, well actually above Bhagsu in a mountain house next to a waterfall.  It was truly spectacular!  However, just a word of advice—when a trekking guide tells you the place you will be staying is rustic,  have an idea of what you think rustic is, and bring it down a few hundred notches.  I must say I bristled a bit when I saw that there was no electricity and no heat. Mind you, we’re about 6000 feet above sea level and I have a light jacket. Fortunately my friend had an extra sleeping bag.  So I put on all the clothes I could, lit some candles,  watched the stars a bit, and had a nice sleep. See! My adjustment time is getting quicker.  Like one of our teachers in the yoga training said, you should always be happy whether or not you are staying in a 5 star hotel or a billion star hotel. 

My friend from the yoga training took me on an all day trek the next day. See the pictures in the blog. I’ve never seen mountains like the Himalayas. They just go on and on and on.  It was a 3000 foot vertical climb, starting at around 6000 feet.  So it definitely pushed my limits.  Nevertheless the beauty, the quiet, the fresh air made it all worthwhile.   I’m continually astonished at all the different facets of this country. I get frustrated sometimes when I think of all the things there are to do and experience here.

My plan now is to head back south for about 3 weeks. I’m taking an Ashtanga yoga course in Mysore to round out my yoga experience. After that, I’m not sure. But at least I can rest from traveling for a bit and stay in one place. That is a nice thought. 

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Tim-
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. I feel like our experiences are so different right now but it allows me to have a connection with you that I wouldn't have otherwise. Amazing photos too!
I continue to be struck with all the beauty,inspiration, possibilities you see on your journey. The emotional psyche here in the US is so fear based and negative right now. I'm so grateful you're doing what you're doing. Who know how fortuitous your timing would be???!
Be well- I miss you.
Kimberly

Ruth said...

I don't think you are ever coming back Tim, you are a seeker it seems and will just keep flowing from one experience to the next. When you do land I hope I get to spend some time hearing all about it. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Anonymous said...

Love hearing about your adventures and wonder if/when I will get to see you IF you land in the USofA. Think of you often and just love the pics you are sending back to us.