Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Rishikesh

As usual per my experience in India, Rishikesh and the International Yoga Festival turned out to be something much different than what I expected. Eventually, I hope to learn just not to have expectations and go with the flow. But I still have a ways to go with that one.

My trip in sleeper class from Delhi to Rishikesh is where the adventure started. I knew going in sleeper class(kind of like 4th class) would be a bit of a challenge. I just didn’t expect to share it with rats and roaches. Oh well, the people were delightful and as have been all my train experiences thus far. And I ended up making friends with everyone in my compartment. The train stopped about 5 miles outside of Rishikesh because the engine died, so I just used the time to get to know my new friends better.

Finally made it to the ashram and the Yoga Festival in stunning Rishikesh. The festival itself was a bit too western and not to my taste, but I met loads of  yoga teachers and was able to get a lot of helpful information about teaching.  The thing I think I loved the most about the week however,  was getting to go to a few orphanages and schools in the area. I was able to visit a school for boys whose parents all had leprosy. It’s still considered a stigma in India, even though it’s not contagious. The boys are not able to attend public schools since their parents are shunned from society.   It was really unimaginable to all of us who spent the day with them. It made me want to get my teaching credentials so I could come back spend more time with them.  Such a powerfully moving experience!

I’m now off to Dharamsala on an overnight 12 hour bus ride. I’ve been told to say a lot of protector mantras for this trip since Indian bus drivers tend to be a bit…shall we say aggressive. I’m going trekking  in the Himalayas with a guide I met during my teacher training.  I’ll be back in Delhi on the 15th and then off to the Taj Mahal for my birthday on the 16th. Not a bad way to spend my 48th I suppose.  

OM TRAYAMBAKAM…(the beginning of the protector mantra

No comments: