Saturday, April 18, 2009

Out of the heat...sort of

Ok. I give. Game over.  Heat 1 me 0.  I decided a few days ago that I didn’t really need to suffer as much as I thought. After talking to a few folks, I discovered that there was actually a nicer suburb in the Mysore area called Gokulum. It reportedly has better and cooler accommodations.  It’s also home to the famous Pattabhi Jois Yoga Shala(studio) which is frequented by many westerners with a lot of money.  Madonna actually being one of them.   So there,  if it’s good enough for Madonna it’s good enough for me.

So I’m happy to report that I’ve moved on up to the east side where it’s really only slightly cooler, but at least it’s more comfortable.  I had forgotten how important comfort and cleanliness were to my state of mind.  It’s actually made a difference in my meditation practice as well, since I’ve been able to set up a beautiful shrine with candles and incense.

 I do have to say that I miss my Indian toilet though. For those of you who don’t know, an Indian toilet is basically a hole in the floor that you have to squat over to use.  They really help to develop lower back, leg and abdominal muscles.  Yoga on the toilet.  Something we don’t get to practice much in the West.  I’ll also miss the cows I walked past every morning on my way to the studio.  There’s a milking station of sorts on the side of the road right next to my old apartment.  Every morning the cows report to “work”, patiently wait for the owner of the store to milk them, and then wander on their way down the street to look for the day’s food.  I love greeting the sweet darlings. So I may have to go out of my way to see them tomorrow.  Cows are sacred here. Once you see them, you understand why.

I laugh when I stop to think about how different my day to day life is here compared to LA.  I’m trying to make sure I savor every moment as I move into my last month in India…this time.   Ah yes, as I dream about making yoga more of an integral part of my life, I believe more time in India is a distinct possibility. I start Harmonium lessons on Tuesday so I can lead Kirtan(sing and response chanting).   Who knows where I’ll end up.  I love putting out the intention, as new agey as that may sound, and seeing what happens. So many dreams So many possibilities . 

No comments: