Saturday, May 2, 2009

Mysore, month 2

That seems hard to imagine. Being in one place for almost 2 months. But what a difference it has made to be settled, to have a routine, to feel part of the community. So much that as I see my time here coming to a close, I’m starting to feel a bit attached.  A lot attached actually. And not quite sure I want to return to the States. However, since I don’t have a choice really(my visa expires in a few weeks),  I know I have to start making re entry plans. But not just yet.

My 2nd month here in Mysore has been a bit different and I’ve shifted my focus a bit. I really pushed myself in the yoga practice for 4 weeks and almost got a bit carried away.  Ashtanga is quite a rigorous practice, and I’ve seen that it can  bring out that old  familiar competitive, ego based nature.  It can be quite addictive. All the sweating, the focus,  the group energy,  the mind/body changes, etc.  But,  as yoga teaches, it’s about balance.  I just wanted to keep going and going, but my back had other ideas.  The soreness after 4 weeks forced me to take a few days off.  And how fortuitous those few days turned out to be.

There are 4 types of yoga taught in the scriptures that are often overlooked in the west: Raja yoga, which involves traditional yoga postures, Bhakti Yoga, which is more devotional in nature(singing, chanting), Jnana yoga involves philosophy, and Karma yoga, which is selfless service.  I figured this break was an opportunity to build on these other aspects of yoga. 

So I began volunteering at an orphanage about 5 minutes from my apartment, and taking chanting lessons from Indian music teacher. What a difference this has made in my experience here. Firstly, the kids are absolutely amazing. They range in age from 2-16 and all of them have been left by their parents in a field, on the side of the street,  or on a doorstep somewhere.   The stories are incredible. And when you see their faces, it’s impossible to understand how it could happen.   As soon as I drive up on my motor scooter(more on that later), they start screaming and running to greet me at the gate.  Suddenly, my back pain or sore wrists don’t seem to matter anymore.  My yoga becomes the kids.   I try to teach them a little bit of English as we play,  and surprisingly they pick it up pretty quickly.  But my favorite thing is saying Namaste to them. The 2 and 3 year olds place their hands at their hearts, smile,  and say Namaste back. We do this over and over again.  I just melt.

Secondly, I thought I was taking Harmonium lessons from this  wonderfully sweet Indian music teacher, but it turns out I’m taking voice lessons.  I told her I want to lead pujas( chanting) and I need to learn to play the Harmonium.  She had other ideas. So she’s been teaching me how to lead singing and be confident in my voice. When I got over the fact that I wasn’t going to get what I thought I came there for, I started enjoying it more.  Just another typical Indian experience.   It never really turns out the way you imagine.  Sometimes that’s good,  sometimes not so good.  But in this case it’s great.

One final note, the motor scooter.  I remember when I first arrived in India I was intrigued, or freaked out, as I recall about crossing the street in this insane traffic. My oh my how far I’ve come. Not only am I crossing the street, but I’m driving in it.  I think it’s actually improving my concentration and mindfulness though. It pretty much has to or  you won’t make it.  I never thought I would have the courage to attempt it, but I’m finding I quite like it now.  There’s the occasional Ox that you can’t get around. And you can’t really blow your horn when a cow makes a sudden right turn without signaling.   But other than that, everyone seems to have a mutual understanding of the controlled chaos of Indian traffic. 

4 comments:

Ruth said...

:)

Jack said...

At least the ox in New York City use turn signals!
So glad to hear your wonder-full story. Namaste indeed.

Kimberly said...

Thanks for sharing your amazing journey with us. I especially loved the work you're doing in the orphanage. I'm sure the kids are far from comfortable in their surroundings yet they find complete joy in your presence and vice versa it sounds like. As they say, kids will always keep you in the present moment- whether you like it or not!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Tim
I've been frightfully quiet out here, but have been following your every post, and am amazed at your trip, your experience, your adventure.
I miss you and our conversations, and I do hope you'll come back to Paris sometime, even though the attractions are quite different from the ones in India. And of course, you'll never want to eat another 5-course/5-hour meal again, so there goes my main competitive advantage :-)
Just joking, it sounds both challenging (and that's the euphemism of the century) and wonderful, and I admire you for doing it.
Best
Lucy