Monday, September 21, 2009

Vipassana Meditation

“Vipassana is a way of self-transformation through self-observation.  It focuses on the deep interconnection between mind and body, which can be experienced directly by disciplined attention to the physical sensations that form the life of the body, and that continuously interconnect and condition the life of the mind.  It is this observation-based, self exploratory journey to the common root of mind and body that dissolves mental impurity, resulting in a balanced mind full of love and compassion.” www.dhamma.org

On the eve of embarking on yet another new experience, I find myself in a bit of a daze. Reading the above and trying to imagine what the next 10 days will be like, is both fascinating and terrifying. Observing my breath, my mind, for such an extended period of time.  Whew! I’m not totally sure I want to see what’s in there.  But I think back to those prisoners on death row in an Alabama prison who completed this retreat, and I am humbled to have this opportunity.

The timing could not be more perfect.  What a way to end this most magnificent, dream of a year. 

May we all be more loving, and compassionate. And may we live peace by example.

OM

No comments: